Sunday, May 27, 2018

Book Review: The Prodigy

The Prodigy by John Feinstein
Publication Date: 28 Aug 2018
Read courtesy of Netgalley.com


Can reviews have dedications? If so, I dedicate this review to my husband, whose passion for golf rubbed off on me enough to understand this story 😀

Since I'm not a sports enthusiast, I'm pleasantly surprised how much I liked this story. Feinstein provided this reader with a fun time: fictionalized famous golfers (McIlroy, Spieth, Mickelson, etc.), sportsmanship and cheating, the lure of money, and loyalties. I was especially pleased that I was tricked into thinking I knew who the bad guy was at the end. I was wrong, and it amused me to find out I was wrong.

Feinstein knows the game of golf well enough to explain to a non-golfer just enough to follow the main character's journey without being bogged down in the game instead of the action. Characters were well developed and provided a believable plot with realistic emotions.

I'm looking forward to having this book on my high school library's shelves this Fall.

p.s. My H.S.'s golf coach is an avid reader. I'm going to get his take on the story, and I'll then update this review...

No comments: