Saturday, January 04, 2020

Book Review: The Twin

The Twin by Natasha Preston
Publish date 3/3/2020
Read courtesy of NetGalley.net

Ms. Preston is way lucky the ending was worth the wait, because I almost never got there. About one-third through the story, I was ready to make this a DNF. It felt repetitive and formulaic. Been-there-done-that-check list: Evil twin ✔️, clueless adults ✔️, fickle friends ✔️... But I decided to stick with it to see what's it was about this story that was worth publishing it. I'm glad I did.

However, I'm not sure how I'm going to convince my high schoolers to keep reading past the commonplace plot other than to put a big "Wait for it...!" sign on the cover.

Some real positives, however, are that there were a lot of truisms in the story without being preachy. It didn't become a self-help book for someone who has lost a parent. I also feel like Ms. Preston did her best to make this a psychological thriller and not about mental health.

I'll get this for my high school library and wait to see what happens...

No comments: