Sunday, May 24, 2020

Book review: The Con Code

The Con Code
by Shana Silver
Pub Date: 25 Aug 2020 
read courtesy of NetGalley.com

I was hooked in chapter one of The Con Code. What struck me, though, was that the tone of the first chapter felt like an entirely different book from the rest of the book. I thought the father-daughter relationship was going to be the action of the book, but it ended up being the motivation behind the story. The action of the book became much more teen-oriented for the remainder of the story. That's not a judgment, just an observation. Once I got my head around the change in tone, I still enjoyed the story.

I liked the intertwined spying on each other, the breaking and establishing of trust, and the playing along with Fiona's planning of the heists. I appreciated the characterizations with the exception of Tig; this nonverbal character received no explanation for this quality, so the reader was left chalking it up to Tig's personality. Tig was written consistently, though, so at least there was that. 

I did have a problem with the travel camp, however. How could it just happen to stop at places Fiona needed to go? It's never said, but were they duped and set up by the FBI? With all of their abilities to beat the system, it doesn't make sense that they'd fall into the trap just like it doesn't make sense about the Camp's itinerary. Then, of course, there's the inclusion of Lakshmi, the annoying camper. (I can't say more about her, or I'd have to say, "spoiler alert.") This trip was a convenient way to move the action forward, and in the end, it made me feel as duped as Colin and Fiona.

The build-up to the conclusion ended abruptly - big build-up, quick finish. In a way, I felt like it made light of mental health issues; it was rather dismissive. Everyone just moved on. 

Regardless, it was a fun, interesting read, and I will be getting it for my high school library. ⭐⭐⭐⭐

No comments: