Wednesday, July 17, 2019

Book Review: Girls Like Us

I read Girls Like Us by Randi Pink, due to be published October 29, 2019, through the courtesy of NetGalley.com.

I liked this book as historical fiction because it made the characters realistic. It forayed into things with which I am unfamiliar and told the story well enough for me to be interested as well as engaged. I'll admit that at first I was confused by the hopping around of characters, but that soon dissipated when I realized it as a storytelling technique for how the girls were intertwined.

The author created characters in which I was invested. I believed them. I felt for them.

I would have given the book 5 stars if it weren't for the ending. It was not a bad ending, but it was jarring. I understood the point of the ending; however, after reading 91% of the book in a different time, the last 9% was more message or platform than story. I couldn't keep myself from comparing the three witches from Witches of Eastwick with the three grandmothers in this ending. It felt more surreal than real.

Regardless of the in-your-face message at the end, I still think this book is a good way to make an important point: women's choice. This book will make a good jumping off for many conversations about the topic of abortion, teenage pregnancy, and women's right to choose.

No comments: