Thursday, July 18, 2019

Book Review: The Speed of Falling Objects

Book Review
The Speed of Falling Objects by Nancy Richardson Fischer
Publishing Date: October 1, 2019
Read courtesy of NetGalley.com

YES! ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ I haven't cried while reading a book in a long time. Thank you, Ms. Fischer, for getting to me. I cannot wait to get this into the hands of my high schoool readers.

Not only did the author wow me with a book I expected to just be a knock off of Hatchet by Gary Paulsen (it wasn't!), but she also included references to one of my favoritest books of all time, The Phantom Tollbooth. This book was a win-win for me.

Danny's nickname is Pigeon, and she explains why throughout the story. Even the research on all of the pigeon characteristics and metaphors would have wowed me, but Fischer goes on to research survival skills 🔥 , the Amazon rain forests ☔️  🌳, snakes 🐍 , spiders 🕷 , and scorpions 🦂  (among a myriad of other creepy crawlies), plane crashes ✈️ and the medical possibilities that might occur from one, the planes themselves, and reality television. And it works!

The best part of Fischer's story is that it is really about growing up as much as if not more than surviving a plane crash in the Peruvian rain forest. It's a full-on metaphor of surviving being a teen, coming-of-age, and finding identity. And she didn't preach at the reader - not once.


No comments: