Tuesday, December 01, 2020

Book Review: Violet & Daisy

Violet & Daisy

by Sarah Miller

Pub Date: 27 Apr 2021 

Read courtesy of http:///www.netgalley.com


I think Sarah Miller was successful in telling the story of Violet and Daisy Hilton because she got me to go to Amazon Prime and rent the movie "Freaks." I was interested in how Miller described Violet's and Daisy's participation and reaction to it and had to experience it for myself.

Miller made me interested in the Hilton sisters' world: their environment, their thoughts, their society. I felt like I was being told the truth about the psychology and sociology of the people and the times. 

The exact thing that I appreciated about Miller's honesty with the facts is also the thing Miller could have achieved more honestly. Though she continuously announced the problems with the data and accounts that she used were subject to memory flaws and gaps in documentation, she also used the sensationalist prose like click bait. She pulled readers in by telling them the suppositions and misrepresentations and then revealed that some or all of what she just told you isn't true. If this is truly aimed at a young adult audience, then Miller's prose should help modern readers understand the sources of what they are about to read not provide what is titillating just to shoot it down.

rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐

No comments: